We make our concept of direction after seeing the position of sun. In fact, this is a truth that sun rises in the East and goes down in the west. Thus when we stand facing sunrise, then our front is called East while our back is called West. At this position our left hand is in the Northward and the right hand is in the Southward.
The adjoining diagram shows the four main directions (North N, South S, East E, and West W) and the four cardinal directions (North- East NE, North- West NW, South-East SE, and South -West SW) to help the candidates to know the directions.
Points to Remember
- At the time of sunrise if a man stands facing the east, his shadow will be towards west, i.e. behind him.
- At the time of sunset the shadow of an object is always to the east.
- If a man stands facing the North, at the time of sunrise his shadow will be towards his left and at the time of sunset it will be towards his right.
- At 12:00 noon, the rays of the sun are vertically downward hence there will be no shadow.
- The shortest distance from a particular point after travelling a distance of x metres in the horizontal direction and a distance of y metres in the vertical direction is equal to:
- Angle between any two main (or cardinal) direction is 90° but the angle between one main and one cardinal direction is 45°.
Question 1. A man facing towards SouthEast turns Left = 90°, Right = 135º, Left = 180º, Right = 45°, Left = 45º continuously. In which direction now he is?
Left = 90 + 180 + 45º =315º
Right = 135º + 45º= 180º
Left 315º – Right 180º
Left = 135º
We will rotate 135º Anticlock wise.
Question 2. From Point ‘A’ Raju walks 20 m. to the North Then turns Left and walks 20 m. to reach at point B. Find distance b/w A and B. ?
(a) 20 m
(b) 40 m
(c) 30 m
(d) 80 m
Because Base = Perpendicular = 20
Question 3. My face is in South Direction. I turns Right and walks 20 m. Then turns Right and walks 10 m. Then turns left and walks 10 m. Then turns right and walks 20 m. Again turns right and walks 60 m. In which direction I am from (starting) Initial point?
I was in the North- East from Initial point
Question 4. Rohit from point ‘A’ walks 20 m. to the east, Then turns right and walks 10 m. Again turns right and walks 9 m, Then turns left and walks 5 m, again turns left and walks 12 m, Again. Turn left walks 5 m and reached at point B. In which direction is he going now?
Rohit is going in the North direction.