B. Frost-free refrigerators
C. Submarine propulsion
D. Researches in superconductivity
Cryogenic engines are engines in which the fuel used is gases that are compressed and liquefied at very low temperatures. Cryogenic engines find applications in rocket technology.
A Cryogenic rocket stage is more efficient and provides more thrust for every kilogram of propellant it burns compared to solid and earth-storable liquid propellant rocket stages. Specific impulse (a measure of the efficiency) achievable with cryogenic propellants (liquid Hydrogen and liquid Oxygen) is much higher compared to earth storable liquid and solid propellants, giving it a substantial payload advantage.
Oxygen liquifies at -183 deg C and Hydrogen at -253 deg C. The propellants, at these low temperatures are to be pumped using turbo pumps running at around 40,000 rpm. It also entails complex ground support systems like propellant storage and filling systems, cryo engine and stage test facilities, transportation and handling of cryo fluids and related safety aspects.
ISRO’s Cryogenic Upper Stage Project (CUSP) envisaged the design and development of the indigenous Cryogenic Upper Stage to replace the stage procured from Russia and used in GSLV flights. The main engine and two smaller steering engines of CUS together develop a nominal thrust of 73.55 kN in vacuum. During the flight, CUS fires for a nominal duration of 720 seconds.
Liquid Oxygen (LOX) and Liquid Hydrogen (LH2) from the respective tanks are fed by individual booster pumps to the main turbopump to ensure a high flow rate of propellants into the combustion chamber. Thrust control and mixture ratio control are achieved by two independent regulators. Two gimballed steering engines provide for control of the stage during its thrusting phase.
- Which soil is best suited for cotton?
- A man goes downstream with a boat to some destination and returns upstream to his original place in 5 hours. If the speed of the boat in still water and the stream are 10 km/hr and 4 km/hr respectively, the distance of the destination from the starting place is
- Which tree release oxygen 24 hours ?
- The sum of two numbers is 468 and their HCF is 39. How many pairs of such numbers can be formed?
- Fluoride inhibits caries formation via
- A man with a dark skin, in comparison with a man with a white skin, What will experience?
- What is NBR?
- 120 men consume 720 kg of rice in 30 days. In how many days can 90 men consume 270 kg?
- What was the source of the blue gem stone, lapis lazuli, for the people of Harappan culture?
- If the length of a rectangle is increased by 20% and the breadth is decreased by 10%. What will be the effect on its area?